LIVING FOR CHANGERedefining the Value of SchoolBy Grace Lee BoggsMichigan Citizen Cephalexin online without prescription, , May 16, 2010
When I heard Robert Bobb’s proposal for a K-14 school, I couldn’t help thinking that the arrogance of Governor Granholm’s appointee is exceeded only by his ignorance. Is this man, Buy generic cephalexin, who has assumed the right to make so many educational decisions, aware of the Small Schools movement. Does he even know that, cephalexin approved, because big schools have so obviously failed our children, Cephalexin alternative, parents and educators in Chicago and other cities have struggled to break up big high schools and have succeeded in replacing them with small ones.
Bobb appears to have little or no knowledge of or concern for the enormous time and effort which educators have spent exploring solutions to the schools crisis over the last few decades. Among these one of my favorites is the late Neil Postman who for many years chaired the Department of Culture and Communications of New York University, order cephalexin no prescription.
Postman wrote twenty (!) books on education, cephalexin online without prescription. Their titles, Lowest price for cephalexin, e.g. Teaching as a Subversive Activity (1969), Teaching as a Conserving Activity (1979), cheap cephalexin pharmacy, The Disappearance of Childhood (1982), Buy cephalexin low price, Amusing Ourselves to Death (1985), Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology (1992), The End of Education (1993), find cephalexin without prescription, give a sense of his breadth and depth. Buy cephalexin once daily, In the 1960s, as part of the Black Power movement in Detroit, I was deeply involved in the movement for Community Control of schools, cephalexin online sales. Then in 1969 I read Postman’s first book Teaching as a Subversive Activity (written with Charles Weingartner) and learned from it that our challenge in this period is not just to change the color of those in control of schools but to redefine education and the role of schools.
"Redefining the Value of School" is the subtitle of The End of Education Cephalexin online without prescription, . Cephalexin medicine, Postman redefines the purpose of schools by explaining that in the 19th century U.S. public schools and education were valued primarily for promoting civic participation and citizenship. Before the 20th century rise of mass production and large corporations, cephalexin in bangkok, the idea that getting a job was the main purpose of education, Cephalexin online cheap, or viewing schools in terms of dollars and cents as Bobb does, would have been inconceivable.
In The End of Education Postman names the five stories our children need to learn to become responsible citizens:
- We are the crew and stewards of Spaceship Earth.
- It is human nature to make mistakes and to correct them.
- Since our country is far from perfect, purchase cephalexin online, our responsibility is to keep struggling to make it into one that we will all be proud to call our own.
- Our country is multicultural; diversity is our strength.
- We know reality through the words we use, Order cephalexin in canada, through language.
- Children need to be involved in solving neighborhood and city problems as part of the school curriculum.
- We should get rid of textbooks which purport to be The Truth.
- We should study, appreciate and support the never-ending human rights struggle of workers, women, cephalexin us, blacks, Buy cephalexin online cheap, other people of color, and of all Americans, which is at the heart of U.S, cheap cephalexin in canada. history.
- We need multicultural, not segregated, schools.
- We honor language and reality by asking questions, using metaphors and learning to use words appropriately.
It is an idea whose time has come. We must seize the time.
To further explore this historic opportunity, I recommend reading and discussing Jimmy Boggs 1976 speech, “The Next Development in Education.”
Similar posts: Buy female cialis without prescription. Buy minocycline without prescription. Buy lamictal without prescription. Buy celexa without prescription. Buy remeron without prescription. Buy accutane without prescription. Buy symbicort without prescription.
Trackbacks from: Buy nasonex without prescription. Buy zovirax without prescription. Buy estrace without prescription. Buy cafergot without prescription. Buy sterapred without prescription. Buy ampicillin without prescription. Buy toradol without prescription.