SAVE THE DATE!! Celebrate Law Day, May 1, 2009!
Community Forums on Public Defense
Friday, May 1, 2009. Cobo Center, Room TBA.
1 Washington Blvd., Detroit, MI 48226
RSVP by April 24 to: (313) 310-5666 or email@example.com
The U.S. Constitution says you have the right to an attorney if you are accused of a crime, even if you cannot afford one. Effective defense representation is fundamental to a working justice system. But in Michigan, the system of public defense is failing.
10:00am. “Justice Undelivered: Michigan’s Failing Public Defense System”
- Walter Swift – Southfield Resident and Recent Exoneree
- Regina Daniels Thomas – Chief Counsel of the Juvenile Law Group, Legal Aid and Defender Association
- Laura Sager – Director of the Campaign for Justice
1:00pm. “Opportunity in Crisis: Community Oriented Defense”
**With lunch provided!!**
- Ron Sullivan – Director of the Harvard Criminal Justice Institute and former Director of the Public Defender Services for the District of Columbia
- Moderated by Laura Sager, Director of the Campaign for Justice
Presented by the Campaign for Justice, Detroit Branch NAACP, Wolverine Bar Association, and Freedom Weekend.