A New Dream
By Grace Lee Boggs
Jan 20-26 2013
At this time on the clock of the planet, the world, our country and our city, I cannot get out of my mind the “things fall apart” poem written by William Butler Yeats nearly one hundred years ago –1919 in the wake of the First World War and the 1917 Russian Revolution.
The Second Coming
Turning and turning in the widening gyre?
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;?
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;?
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere?
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;?
The best lack all conviction,
While the worst?
Are full of passionate intensity
By contrast, in the U.S.A. today, and especially in Detroit,
we are shaking the world with a new dream, with passionate conviction.
This is because
- Detroit’s devastation by deindustrialization has provided us with the Space and Place to begin anew.
- We are bringing the Country back into the City, growing our own food instead of worsening global warming by trucking it in from distant factory farms.
- We are making a radical revolution of values, a cultural revolution as profound as the transition from Agriculture to Industry 500 years ago.
- We are Re-Imagining Work and Education.
- Our goal is to create MLK’s Beloved Communities!