is to nurture the transformational leadership capacities of individuals and organizations committed to creating productive, sustainable, ecologically responsible, and just communities.
"Each generation, coming out of obscurity, must define its mission and fulfill or betray it."
Frantz Fanon - The Wretched of the Earth
- July 16th, 2019 Thank you to everyone who participated in the JB100 events to celebrate what would have been James ‘Jimmy’ Boggs’ 100th year of birth! We are grateful for the connections, lessons, and leadership that made it possible, and for each person who engaged with ideas and with each other. As we rest and...Read More »
- July 8th, 2019 Thinking for Ourselves Independence Day Shea Howell This Fourth of July Donald Trump staged a militaristic, made for media moment to celebrate Independence Day in the USA. As planes flew over his head, often drowning out the sound system designed to reach his select crowd, about 150 Detroiters gathered on the East...Read More »
- July 1st, 2019 JB @ 100 7-1 Detroit Summer Oral History Presentation 7-3 Study In-Teach Out 7-4 Feedom Freedom Art Installation 7-5 Jazz Lovers Paradise Tour Join the Week-long Celebration Thinking for Ourselves Our Children, Our Communities Shea Howell This year marks the 100th Anniversary of the birth of Detroit revolutionary philosopher, writer, and activist...Read More »
- June 25th, 2019 JB @ 100 Join the Week-long Celebration Thinking for Ourselves Asking Questions Shea Howell The future of our city is driven by countless small decisions. Of course, political choices, like giving 200 acres of land to Fiat-Chrysler, or flattening a community for a Cadillac plant, have enormous consequences. But often, the things that...Read More »
- June, 17th, 2019 JB 100 Join the Week-long Celebration Thinking for Ourselves Stop Spreading Surveillance Shea Howell Several hundred people gathered at the Detroit Police Commissioner Board hearing at St. John’s Lutheran Church to discuss the expansion of a facial recognition system tied to Project Green Light. Currently, Detroit and Chicago are the only cities...Read More »