is to nurture the transformational leadership capacities of individuals and organizations committed to creating productive, sustainable, ecologically responsible, and just communities.
"Each generation, coming out of obscurity, must define its mission and fulfill or betray it."
Frantz Fanon - The Wretched of the Earth
- Don’t brush over L. Brooks Patterson’s bigoted past | Opinion Frank JoycePublished 7:00 a.m. ET Jan. 11, 2019 | Updated 7:08 a.m. ET Jan. 11, 2019 CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE Buy PhotoOakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson (Photo: Ryan Garza, Detroit Free Press) Carol Cain did us a backhanded favor with her column praising Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson. She has...Read More »
- January 10th, 2019 Thinking for Ourselves Weaponized Words Shea Howell As we begin a new year, crises are intensifying. At the same time, our capacity to think clearly, to act boldly, and to envision alternative paths toward a just future are under unprecedented assault. Concepts and conventions of the past are worn...Read More »
- December 18th, 2018 In the Face of Fear A Call from James and Grace Lee Boggs Center to Nurture Community Leadership We have seen the face of fear and fascism. It is tear gas shot at barefoot children in diapers. We cannot look away. We cannot be distracted by the din of disinformation and denial. Before...Read More »
- December 11th, 2018 Thinking for Ourselves Shea Howell Beyond Lame Ducks Throughout Michigan people are rallying to challenge the Lame Duck actions of the state legislature. Protest, public demonstrations and outright mockery are tactics being deployed against a secure, smug legislative body. Many groups are placing their hopes in the Governor. They...Read More »
- December 3rd, 2018 Little War on the Prarie Thinking for Ourselves Thinking for Ourselves Shea Howell Poletown Lives Much of the country was shocked by the announcement that General Motors (GM) is closing five production plants in the U.S. and Canada. Two of the closing are in the Detroit area. The Detroit-Hamtramck...Read More »