is to nurture the transformational leadership capacities of individuals and organizations committed to creating productive, sustainable, ecologically responsible, and just communities.
"Each generation, coming out of obscurity, must define its mission and fulfill or betray it."
Frantz Fanon - The Wretched of the Earth
- August 7th, 2018 Thinking for Ourselves Shea HowellShaping Our CityDetroit has always been shaped by the impulses of white men. It was established in 1701 in the midst of war by white men pursuing land and access to the wealth of the natural world. Over the centuries, war and violence, pursuit of personal wealth, and destruction...Read More »
- “I am convinced that if we are to get on the right side of the world revolution, we as a nation must undergo a radical revolution of values. We must rapidly begin the shift from a “thing-oriented” society to a “person-oriented” society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important...Read More »
- Beyond Vietnam: A Time to Break Silence Declaration of Independence from the War in Vietnam By Martin Luther King, Jr Speech delivered by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., on April 4, 1967, at Riverside Church in New York City: I come to this magnificent house of worship tonight because my conscience leaves me no...Read More »
- July 31st, 2018 Thinking for Ourselves Shea Howell Charting Values Democracy in Detroit is in trouble. As we approach this primary season vote, the efforts of the corporate power to distort and destroy democratic impulses are intensifying. The latest instance is the effort to get voters to authorize a revision of the City Charter. Proposal...Read More »
- July 24th, 2018 July 24th, 2018 Thinking for Ourselves Shea Howell A Country Not Yet Born: Remembering Vincent Vincent Harding has been on my heart these last few days. July 25 marks the passing of 87 years since he was born. Many know him as a theologian, an historian, a friend and collaborator of...Read More »