is to nurture the transformational leadership capacities of individuals and organizations committed to creating productive, sustainable, ecologically responsible, and just communities.
"Each generation, coming out of obscurity, must define its mission and fulfill or betray it."
Frantz Fanon - The Wretched of the Earth
- October 23rd, 2018 Thinking for Ourselves Shea Howell Attack in Brightmoor Detroit has few friends in Lansing. We have learned over these years of right-wing republican rule that a favorite trick of those in power is to withhold funds from a city or school district and to then declare a financial emergency which their actions...Read More »
- October 16th, 2018 Thinking for Ourselves Shea Howell Effecting the Children This week the Michigan League for Public Policy released a new report on the crisis of education in our state. It identifies the failures of decades of so-called reforms and argues for a honest look at systemic racism embedded in these efforts The report...Read More »
- October 8th, 2018 ____________________________________________ Free – Riverwise Edition #8 Just issued Thinking for Ourselves Thinking for Ourselves Shea Howell One Water The push for local and state-wide policies to protect our water is accelerating. This past week saw both a successful student walk-out on count day in Detroit emphasizing the crisis of safe water in...Read More »
- October 3rd, 2018 Thinking for Ourselves Shea Howell Being Counted Detroit young people are taking the lead in challenging the complacency of the Mayor and Superintendent of Schools over the water crisis in our city. Detroit Area Youth Uniting Michigan (DAYUM) are hosting a Freedom School today (October 3rd), urging students to stand up for themselves,...Read More »
- September 26th, 2018 Thinking for Ourselves Shea HowellThe Wright Vision “I love my museum. I’ll be damned before I let you take it away.” That sentence summed up the determination of the nearly two hundred people who gathered at Sacred Heart on September 19 to organize to protect the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American...Read More »