is to nurture the transformational leadership capacities of individuals and organizations committed to creating productive, sustainable, ecologically responsible, and just communities.
"Each generation, coming out of obscurity, must define its mission and fulfill or betray it."
Frantz Fanon - The Wretched of the Earth
- February 19th, 2019 Overlooked No More: Dudley Randall, Whose Broadside Press Gave a Voice to Black Poets ____________________________________________________________ Thinking for Ourselves Jackson Learnings Shea Howell This past weekend the North Dakota Study Group gathered in Jackson Mississippi to explore “different ways of thinking about schools, communities, teaching and learning.” The group was formed in...Read More »
- February 12th, 2019 __________________________________________ Thinking for Ourselves Black Geniuses Shea Howell Last week the Boggs Center hosted two conversations as part of the Black Genius series sponsored by the Michigan Roundtable. These gatherings offered an opportunity to think about our responsibilities at this “time on the clock of the world.” James Boggs life and legacy...Read More »
- February 5th, 2019 Thinking for Ourselves Weather Changes Shea Howell As some of the coldest temperatures in nearly a century move out of the Midwest, devastation is everywhere. In Detroit the thaw brought over 50 breaks in water mains, flooding streets and closing buildings. Thousands of homes, offices, schools and public facilities face burst pipes and are preparing for...Read More »
- January 29th, 2019 Thinking for Ourselves Historical Divisions Shea HowellThe celebration of Martin Luther King makes it clear how difficult it is for many people in our country to look at the fullness of our history. People in power have a vested interest in turning Dr. King’s life and legacy into a shallow dream of a future...Read More »
- January 21st, 2019 __________________________________________ Thinking for Ourselves Valued Choices Shea Howell In the midst of the latest boil water advisory, a group of scholars and community activists released a long awaited report on Water Equity and Security in Detroit’s Water and Sewer District. The report is a thoughtful, well researched, and historically grounded analysis of...Read More »